Free Speech and Defamation Defense
JT Morris Law defends clients against claims of libel and slander, invasion of privacy, business disparagement, and other allegations attacking one's speech. The firm leverages its comfort and experience with the complex issues that accompany such lawsuits to develop intelligent and effective litigation strategies. This includes utilizing the Texas Citizens Participation Act and other anti-SLAPP statutes to seek early dismissal when appropriate.
We also regularly respond to cease-and-desist letters threatening defamation lawsuits, always with the goal of fully protecting a client's expressive freedoms and deterring a lawsuit. The firm also counsels a wide-range of clients on pre-publication review, including writers and artists, journalists, and consumer and political activists.
Our representative defamation and speech defense matters include:
- Defending online consumer reviewers, social media users, investigative journalists and bloggers, and community whistleblowers in defamation disputes, including using the Texas anti-SLAPP statute for early dismissal of a lawsuit and the award of attorney's fees.
- Representing clients in appeals concerning defamation and the Texas anti-SLAPP statute.
- Responding to cease-and-desist and demand letters concerning defamation and similar claims, including lawsuit threats from public figures.
- Providing pre-publication review and advising for authors, bloggers, digital content creators, and internet service and platform providers.
- Counseling social media platforms and mobile application providers on best practices for managing user-provided content on forum and comment sections.