Defamation and Speech Defense
JT Morris Law defends clients against claims of libel and slander, invasion of privacy, business disparagement, and other allegations attacking one's speech. The firm leverages its comfort and experience with the complex issues that accompany such lawsuits to develop intelligent and effective litigation strategies. This includes utilizing the Texas Citizens Participation Act and other anti-SLAPP statutes to seek early dismissal when appropriate.
We regularly respond to cease-and-desist letters threatening defamation lawsuits, always with the goal of fully protecting a client's expressive freedoms while deterring a lawsuit. The firm also counsels a wide-range of clients on pre-publication review and related matters.
Our representative defamation and speech defense matters include:
- Defending investigative journalists, community and environmental whistleblowers, online consumer reviewers, social media users, and others in defamation disputes.
- Obtaining early dismissal of speech-based lawsuits and awards of attorney's fees under the Texas anti-SLAPP statute.
- Representing clients in appeals concerning the Texas anti-SLAPP statute.
- Protecting the anonymity of online speakers targeted by lawsuits;
- Responding to cease-and-desist letters concerning defamation and similar claims.
- Providing pre-publication review and advising for authors, journalists, filmmakers, bloggers, and digital content creators.
- Counseling social media platforms and mobile application providers on best practices for managing and moderating user-provided content.