Free Speech and Defamation Defense
JT Morris Law defends clients against claims of libel and slander, invasion of privacy, business disparagement, and other allegations attacking one's speech. The firm leverages its comfort and experience with the complex issues that accompany such lawsuits to develop intelligent and effective litigation strategies. This includes utilizing the Texas Citizens Participation Act and other anti-SLAPP statutes to seek early dismissal when appropriate.
We regularly respond to cease-and-desist letters threatening defamation lawsuits, always with the goal of fully protecting a client's expressive freedoms and deterring a lawsuit. The firm also counsels a wide-range of clients on pre-publication review and related matters.
Our representative defamation and speech defense matters include:
- Defending investigative journalists and bloggers, online consumer reviewers, social media users, community whistleblowers, and others in defamation disputes, including using the Texas anti-SLAPP statute for early dismissal of a lawsuit and an award of attorney's fees.
- Representing clients in appeals concerning the Texas anti-SLAPP statute.
- Protecting the anonymity of online speakers targeted by defamation lawsuits;
- Responding to cease-and-desist and demand letters concerning defamation and similar claims.
- Providing pre-publication review and advising for authors, journalists, filmmakers, bloggers, and digital content creators.
- Counseling social media platforms and mobile application providers on best practices for managing and moderating user-provided content.