Free Speech and Defamation Defense
JT Morris Law defends clients against claims of libel and slander, invasion of privacy, business disparagement, and other allegations attacking one's speech. The firm leverages its comfort and experience with the complex issues that accompany defamation lawsuits to develop intelligent and effective litigation strategies. This includes utilizing anti-SLAPP statutes to seek early dismissal when appropriate.
The firm regularly works with clients who find themselves facing a cease-and-desist letter targeting their speech. JT Morris Law strives to respond to such threats assertively and deter litigation, while fully protecting a client's expressive freedoms.
We regularly counsel clients on identifying potential risks before publication. The firm has experience working with writers and artists, journalists, consumers, public activists, and others in assessing the best manner in which to publish content, minimize the risk of a lawsuit, and fully protect one's right to speak freely.
Exemplary defamation and related matters on which JT Morris Law serves clients include:
- Defending clients against allegations of libel, slander, invasion of privacy, business disparagement, and related claims in federal and state court;
- Working with clients to file anti-SLAPP motions when available to seek early dismissal of lawsuits and recovery of attorneys' fees;
- Responding to cease-and-desist and demand letters concerning defamation and similar claims;
- Providing pre-publication and pre-launch review for digital content creators, social media users, and internet service and platform providers; and
- Counseling content hosts on best practices for managing user-provided content on forums, comment sections, and social media platforms.