First Amendment Law
JT Morris Law represents individuals and organizations who find their First Amendment liberties at risk. We work tirelessly to help clients protect their expressive freedoms in federal and state trial and appellate courts, as well as in administrative proceedings. The firm also regularly advises clients on First Amendment issues that may affect their professional, educational, or artistic pursuits.
Representative First Amendment issues on which we represent and counsel clients include:
- Challenging unconstitutional laws and government action that suppress political speech;
- Helping clients assert First Amendment protection for online expression;
- Defending clients against defamation, invasion of privacy, and business disparagement lawsuits;
- Protecting the First Amendment rights of students;
- Challenging regulations that restrict the speech of licensed professionals and entrepreneurs; and
- Defending journalists against actions targeting their news gathering and reporting efforts.
The First Amendment and Technology
JT Morris Law maintains a niche practice representing and advising clients on matters at the intersection of technology and the First Amendment. Examples includg social media and free speech; software and protected expression; and First Amendment issues surrounding augmented and virtual reality. JT Morris Law draws on its experience and comfort with complex and emerging technologies to effectively advise and represent clients dealing with these novel issues.