Texas’s anti-SLAPP statute protects a citizen’s online reviews about an assisted living facility.
First Amendment and Free Speech Litigation
JT Morris Law helps individuals and organizations assert and protect their freedom of speech and other First Amendment liberties. Our firm has significant experience litigating First Amendment and free speech issues in federal and state trial courts, as well as in administrative proceedings. We also regularly advise clients on First Amendment issues that may affect their professional and individual pursuits.
Representative matters on which we represent and counsel clients include:
- Challenging laws, policies, and other government action that target speech about political issues and other public matters.
- Representing clients at the intersection of technology and the First Amendment, including issues over free speech and the internet.
- Defending clients against lawsuits based on their speech, including defamation, invasion of privacy, and business disparagement lawsuits.
- Defending journalists against threats to newsgathering and publishing.
- Advising clients on access and open government issues.
- Helping students protect their First Amendment rights.
- Guiding businesses and individuals on advertising and sign regulations.
An example of how Texas’s anti-SLAPP statute protects citizens who speak up about community issues.
The Fifth Circuit recognizes that the 1st Amendment applies to government social media pages.